'Grow up' - Let them be little

Online Source 
Grow Up she said, You'll be fine she said, You'll be a big girl she said, Its the best being an adult she said, It's all lies I say all lies. Childhood is the best years of your life I say.

This term 'oh just grow up will you...' Grinds my bones when I hear it.
How much growing up should your 2 year old be doing? How much growing up should your 5 year old be doing?
Don't they grow up quick enough as it is?
Do we sometimes forget that our little ones are STILL rather little & if they aren't acting like an adult that is not an issue... in fact should we not be encouraging them to act their age.

For instance my rather energetic 2 year old in a well known large supermarket earlier. He was excitedly running to each section of the isles to where I was with Daddy behind him. Not causing any trouble just being perhaps a little bit loud but he was happy.

Why then do I still get the 'tuts' & the snotty looks from other people?

He's HAPPY & he's a CHILD...
Do these people just not like children?

Whilst sitting here watching Peter Pan as you do on a Saturday afternoon after ballet I found myself thinking about how quickly my children are growing up & I wish time would slow down.

I am so guilty when it comes to telling my four year old to 'Grow up' ... the guilt has riddled through me. She's FOUR... she's not mature nor should she be. Yes she is learning right from wrong but she is still so little.

I hands in the air will admit I totally forget little E is still so little I seem to just expect her to be acting like an adult of course. This is so wrong of me...


It's easy to judge someone on the outside & totally ignore your own parenting...

I find myself talking to little H sometimes & him totally not understanding me... It's frustrating but then I take a step backwards & remember just HOW LITTLE HE IS...

I'm sorry if he tantrums or strops in the middle of the street, supermarket, carpark...
I'm sorry if he runs like he's being chased by a tiger...
I'm sorry if he dances like no one is watching...
I'm sorry if he throws food in the restaurant & it lands on your table...
I'm sorry if he fills his nappy & I've got to find the nearing changing room...
I'm sorry if your so small minded & you don't like children...
I'm sorry but my son is ONLY TWO he isn't a grown up nor should he act like one.

I'm Sorry.

Then when they get to being teenagers all we will want is time to rewind... 

Shall we just take a moment & look at your children & just even if its for a second appreciate them at the age they are. 

My two are currently playing with their Little Tikes set beautifully together. This won't last long I know. It's amazing to watch whilst it lasts...



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...