The origin of Mr Jack Valentine

Mr.Valentine, not (my) Mr.Valentine... Not my husband. But The Mr. Jack Valentine. 


Mr.Valentine is purely for the children, a bit like Father Christmas or the Easter Bunny. 
I posted earlier today about Mr.Valentines..You can check it out HERE
Mr.Valentine ... I'm going to call him Mr.V for short. 
The children will get 10-15 small bags of gifts each... nothing major, crayons, socks, toy cars. The excitement isn't really the gifts its the 'knock, knock, knock'... then the children get nervous at first but the excitement kicks in rather quickly. 

I was still having Mr.V visit me until I had children of my own.. I know I know big kid here! 

See I grew up with Mr.V in my life from the word go. It's funny because I'd go to school & tell all my friends about Mr.V about the presents I had received & they didn't have a clue. 

My Mum is from Norfolk & this is where it originates from....

So you see the origin of Mr.V is HERE

Rather interesting I will copy a few bits for you lazy people who won't click on the link....
source


Elm Hill: Love is in the air





"A COUNTY OF OLD ROMANTICS

Looking back through the history books, Norfolk is a county of cupids. From the mystery Jack Valentine to the tradition of swopping gifts of Valentine's Eve, it seems we are a load of rural romantics.

Each year on 14 February, millions of valentine’s cards are exchanged across the world. But traditionally people in Norfolk make an extra effort to get those hearts fluttering.
In the year 2000, one Cupid pretender gave the residents of Muriel Street, Norwich, a valentine’s treat. The lucky residents woke up to find biscuits with heart stickers stuck to their doors, gates and cars.
Although this was more of a prank than a custom, the county has a long heritage of valentine traditions.

Victorian gifts
In Victorian times, Norfolk lovers went to great lengths to swap parcels anonymously on 13 February. Often more money was spent on valentine’s gifts than Christmas presents.
The county's cupids were certainly more generous than those in other parts of the country where a a solitary love letter or card would do.

Valentine’s Eve
Across the county, Valentine’s Eve was as eagerly anticipated as Christmas Eve and it was always good fun.
People would fill a bag with love tokens to give away. They would bump into friends in the street and share jokes along the way. When they arrived at the home of their lover, they would knock on the door, leave a present and run off before they were spotted.
Hopefully, the valentine would be out and you would return home to find your own doorstep covered with parcels.

Hoaxes and pranks
Because Valentine's Day was such an extravagant custom in Norfolk, jokers saw it as a perfect chance to pull off hoaxes.
Those unlucky in love would be mocked with a huge present left outside their house. After unwrapping lots of layers of paper, the unhappy recipient would find a cruel scribbled comment.
Others would open their door after hearing a rat-tat-tat only to be laughed at by somebody hidden away.

Jack Valentine
The only surviving Norfolk ritual is Jack Valentine, otherwise known as Old Father Valentine or Old Mother Valentine.
The enigmatic Mr or Mrs Valentine disappear into thin air after knocking at the door and leaving their gifts.
It is unclear when this mystery figure emerged, but children are as likely as adults to be visited.
During the early 20th century, youngsters would probably be given a little treat from the village shop, while lovers would be more generous.
Although little is known about the history of Jack Valentine, it remains a popular custom and seems to be exclusive to Norfolk."

Rather interesting stuff... it originates from Norfolk & now I live in Sussex I will be carrying the tradition on.  When I was growing up we lived in Surrey & no one locally knew what Mr.Valentine was about. 

Today we're off to Brighton to walk around the lanes. My favourite past time.

I hope you all have a extra special Valentines Day whatever you're all up too. 

You could always put a smile of your little ones faces & be Mr.Valentine for them.  

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...